L-arginine is a semi-essential amino acid which plays an important role in many bodily functions. L-arginine is particularly important in keeping your blood vessels relaxed to promote optimal blood flow.* It can be found in almonds, carob, chocolate, coconuts, dairy products, fish, meat, peanuts, and walnuts.
Your endothelial cells produce nitric oxide to help keep your blood vessels relaxed, thus enhancing your circulation.* “Nitric oxide is also used as a signal molecule in your brain and immune system,” natural health expert Joseph Mercola explains. Your body needs L-arginine to produce nitric oxide. In fact, it is the only known nutritional substrate in your vessel lining available to endothelial cells for the production of nitric oxide.
You can produce this amino acid in your body, but not enough of it for you to fully utilize it. You could be deficient in L-arginine if you don’t eat and digest enough protein and are prone to lower levels of antioxidants and higher levels of free radicals. Some people may need more L-arginine due to inherited genetics or simply because they are getting older.
Here are the 6 main reasons why you need L-arginine:*
1. Helps promote a healthy heart and enhances your cardiovascular system by relaxing your blood vessels to ensure optimal blood flow.* It also helps maintain blood pressure levels in the normal range.*
2. Helps support your immune system.*
3. Helps enhance men’s sexual health. L-arginine helps increase blood flow to the penis, helps boost sperm count and maintains a healthy volume of semen.*
4. Helps keep your skin healthy.* L-arginine is a component of collagen, the protein which gives your skin its elasticity and structure, and the appearance of smoothness and youth.*
5. Helps promote healthy kidney function.* Studies show that L-arginine helps enhance renal function.*
6. Helps boost your exercise tolerance.* L-arginine may help reduce the accumulation of ammonia and plasma lactate, which are byproducts of physical exercise.*
L-arginine supplements are readily available in the market. The challenge when taking an L-arginine supplement is its absorption rate. “Your body absorbs and metabolizes L-arginine very rapidly – meaning you normally have to take an L-arginine supplement several times during the day,” Dr. Mercola points out.
To solve this problem, Mercola recommends Cardiovascular Support, a natural L-arginine supplement which uses a unique time release matrix that allows you to get a sustained-release of optimal levels of L-arginine during the day, eliminating the need to take frequent doses.*
Besides L-arginine, CoQ10 and omega-3 fats are also friendly to your heart.* Cardiovascular Support and quality CoQ10 and omega-3 fat supplements, will provide your heart with the much-needed support that it deserves.*
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.